herb roasted lamb
One pot main courses are my favorite meals. I went a little fancy for this one, but it was a Manager's Special so it did't hurt my pocketbook too much. If you develop a relationship with your butcher or local farm, you can get the inside scoop. I picked up this organic lamb roast for $22 instead of $38 and it turned into a weeknight treat my family wouldn't normally eat. The same preparation can be used with many types of meat like pork butt or beef brisket.
1 4-6 pound boneless leg of lamb
3 whole garlic cloves
1 chopped onion
2 tablespoons dried mint
1 tablespoon dried parsley
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 cups chicken or beef stock (homemade is best)
- In a large cast iron or heavy pot (I use Le Creuset) sauté chopped onion in olive oil. Add whole garlic cloves at the end so they do not burn.
- Rub lamb with salt, pepper, parsley, mint and dijon mustard until whole roast is fully covered
- Brown all sides in pot until golden brown
- Add stock and cut up carrots to pot
- Cover pot and put into a 350 degree oven for 1.5 -2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 135 (rare) 145 (medium rare)
- Let rest for 20 minutes before cutting and serving
- Serve with mashed sweet potatoes, roasted asparagus and green salad