cupcake meet chocolate heaven
These heavenly chocolate treats have seen many lives. They started out as a simple chocolate muffin that my friend Ally from The Accidental Purist, created when we were on a limited diet, searching for ways to have sweets in a healthy way. I've modified them a bit and have turned them into a birthday worthy treat for school parties or a decadent dessert to serve your family on any special occasion. They are gluten, dairy and refined sugar free. You will not believe that something this yummy, isn't so unhealthy for you!
What you will need
3 cups Almond Flour (Honeyville Almond Flour)
3/4 cup pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
Dash sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips (I use EnjoyLife)
For the frosting
10 ounce bag chocolate chips
1 pint Organic Heavy Cream
1. In a large mixing bowl add almond flour, unsweetened cocoa, salt and baking soda.
2. Whisk ingredients together until all lumps disappear
3. Add maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla
4. When all ingredients are combined, add chocolate chips.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, pour into lined muffin tin
6. Place in a 325 degree oven for 15 minutes or until toothpick is clean
For the frosting
1. In a medium saucepan, heat cream until hot, but do not boil
2. Turn off heat and add 1 bag (10 oz) of chocolate chips
3. Leave untouched for a few minutes, to allow chocolate to melt
4. Stir to combine ingredients into a smooth silky sauce
5. Pour mixture into a bowl, glass works best
6. Let cool
As the frosting cools, it will become thick and frosting like. When it comes to the right temperature and the cupcakes have cooled, frost. This frosting recipe is great to have, as it can be used in many ways. I will post different ways I use it in in future posts.
Something else I like to do with these cupcakes, is keep some unfrosted in a container in the refrigerator and give them to the kids for a lunch treat. They freeze well too, and can be pulled out individually to eat. Baking in multiple batches, is an incredible time saver, while still offering healthy options for your family,