marinated chicken kabobs
Grilling season has officially arrived and throwing Kabobs together is a simple way to create a easy dinner and one that can be changed to suit anyone's tastes. I choose chicken and zucchini with onions for more flavor. Any veggie is perfect and will work depending on the flavor profile you are trying to accomplish. I marinated in our favorite homemade Italian Dressing, but anything goes with this approach. Choose your protein and veggies and never forget to use a marinade, so that you get a punch of flavor. This step will also insure that the meat is tender. I think I might do this all Summer long, with different themes... Greek, BBQ style or Asian! the ideas are endless. Have fun with it and think about how much fun it is for kids to eat dinner on a stick! It is also a great dinner for kids to help with and put together for you.
I served this with simple white rice and a green salad, but it can also be part of a big picnic meal and served with potato salad, corn on the cob and cut up watermelon and all of the fixins.
If you are not using metal skewers, don't forget to soak wooden skewers for at least an hour. This will help them not to burn when grilling.
What you will need
- 6-8 wooden skewers
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into @ 1 inch cubes
- 3 small zucchini cut into small round discs
- 1 large onion, cut into 1 inch square slices
- 1/2 c Italian dressing (my recipe here)
- salt and pepper
Putting it together
- Place wooden skewers in water to soak for an hour
- Cut up chicken, veggies and onions
- Place ingredients in a storage bag or bowl and pour marinade. Stir to incorporate and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 6 hours
- Skewer ingredients
- Grill until chicken reads 160°F
- Take skewers off grill and cover with foil to bring chicken to safe temperature of 165°F
- Serve with favorite sides