gluten free waffles
Every gluten free baker needs a basic waffle recipe. This is grain and dairy free, but you would never know it. I will double this recipe most weekends and store some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer. It is a bit time consuming but worth every minute. Give it a try this weekend.
Recipe for waffles
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
8 eggs divided
2/3 cup coconut flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice (this helps to activate the baking powder so don't leave out)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 cup water
3 tablespoons melted butter. If your are dairy free, this can be omitted
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites into two separate bowls. Make sure to use a large bowl for the whites as they triple in size after being whipped.
- Into the egg yolks combine all wet ingredients
- To the wet ingredients, slowly add in all dry ingredients. This can get messy! These flours are fine and tend to make big clouds of dust, but go slow and have fun!
- Whip egg whites with hand beater until soft white peeks are formed
- Fold in egg whites to waffle batter until everything is incorporated and completely mixed
- scoop batter into waffle iron, I use cooking spray to coat, as i find they will stick otherwise
- Makes 6-8 waffles
- Serve with pure maple syrup