Just in time for New Years entertaining. I made these for an impromtu Christmas gathering and served them with my sriracha basil mayo as a dipping sauce. They have so much flavor and crunch, but so simple to make. These smashed potatoes also make a perfect side dish for roasts, chicken and steak. I used simple spices, rosemary, salt and pepper, but just like any blank canvas, you can go crazy with your own ideas. The absolute beauty of these potatoes is the abitlity to make them ahead of time. I'll show you my trick below, so you can add this simple side dish to your delicious and quick gluten free staples.
What you will need
- 2 bags of small organic potatoes
- olive oil to coat
- dried organic rosemary
Putting it together
- Rinse off potatoes and cut off any dark spots
- Place potatoes in a medium sized pot, cover with water and add 1 Tbs. salt
- Bring to boil, cook potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes
- Drain water and allow potatoes to dry off and cool for a few minutes
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, place potatoes and press with the bottom of a clean glass, to smash. You may need 2 baking sheets.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and desired spices. Don't forget to turn over and don't be afraid to season heavily.
- Here is the make ahead part! If using for entertaining, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Or if you want to eat them right away, put them in a 400.F oven for 20 minutes, When they are heated through, turn the broiler on Hi, keeping close watch that they don't burn.
- When you see your desired crispiness taking shape, turn them over and do the same thing on the other side.
- Place in a pretty serving platter with dipping sauce.
This is kind of like Tater Tots, only more mature :)