sweet & spicy chicken wings
I am not the biggest football fan, but I have two crazy fans in my house and when I say fans, I mean lunatic level! So, with Superbowl Sunday just days away, I have to come up with a menu that is going to satisfy a bunch of hungry man children (haha). I would also like to do it in the healthiest way possible, and guess what, it is possible to make a delicious spread without trading on quality ingredients.
At most markets these days, you can find organic chicken wings without breaking the bank. That means you can feed a crowd for around the same price as ordering and you will be eliminating all of those nasty frying oils!
For this recipe, I used 2 packages, which turned out to be a little under 3 dozen wings. You can adjust the measurements according to your crowd. I used simple, accessible ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, and the good news is, they are Paleo! Baked in the oven and not fried, these little nuggets will make any party a hit.
What you will need
- 3 dozen organic chicken wings
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. red peper flakes
- Favorite herb to garnish (I used chives)
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 400.F
- In a sauce pan, add ghee, honey and red pepper flakes. Melt
- Take chicken wings out of package and pat dry with paper towels
- Salt chicken wings generously
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken and pour melted liquid over top. Make sure each piece is coated
- Place each wing on a large baking sheet with a wire rack insert. This will insure proper browning.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then switch to broil. When wings have desired crispiness, turn them over and brown other side.
- The flavor is subtly sweet and spicy and perfect to serve as is, but a homemade ranch or blue cheese dip would be great.