cookie dough power balls
January always seems just the right time to make changes to your diet and lifestyle and cutting sugar is a big change. I have used food as medicine for a long time and although there are "diets" and "lifestyles" to follow, I say listen to your body and eat what feels right. What I am not saying, is to eat processed food and sugar, but to eat whole food, real food with little indulgences in moderation.
What I have learned through countless elimination diets and food restriction is, I do best eating no gluten, no grains, no dairy and limiting heavy starches. That seems like a lot of restrictions right? Well I don't feel limited, first because it helpd me to feel better and second If you take a look at any of my recipes, they are packed with flavor and yumminess and I don't feel restricted at all. I did mention moderation though, and there are times when I feel like I can handle a small amount of white rice or hard cheeses and I go for it. That's not very paleo of me, but hey a girls gotta have fun!
So why am I telling you all of this in a post for Chocolate Chip Cookie Power Balls? I have done a great job of cutting my sugar hunger down by having choices like this recipe on hand in the fridge. It helpes not to go rouge, eating things that may not be in your comfort zone. I love to have a sweet treat after I eat something savory. It could become a bad habit, but when you trick yourself with these little balls of heaven, its a win, win.
These fall into safe paleo territory, along with being raw and refined sugar free. When you reach that point of balance and you listen to what your body needs, don't limit yourself to a specific lifestyle. Your body will be very thankful and you will feel happier, healthier and more free.
What you will need
- 8 large dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond butter (I used this)
- 2-3 Tbs. almond flour (Honeyville)
- 2-3 Tbs. raw honey
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used Lily's)
Putting it together
- In a food processor, add dates and pulse until it becomes a paste
- Add almond butter, salt and raw honey, pulse until fully combined. You may need to open lid and scape down a few times
- Add chocolate chips, pulse
- Using a small ice cream scooper, make small balls and roll between hands. This recipe will make @12 depending how large you roll them
- Place in refrigerator to set, then store in a glass container. Will stay up to a week, covered