roasted red pepper cream with chicken and broccoli
Living a gluten free lifestyle may sound overwhelming when you are first beginning the journey, but in today's food world, there are so many options its impossible not to be satisfied. Most people that ask me questions, start with saying they can't live without bread or pasta. I grew up in a big Italian family where bread showed up on the table every night for dinner, Sunday sauce was a mainstay and carb overload was my life. If I am being 100% honest, I will tell you that on most days, I don't miss any of that at all. I love whole foods, real, colorful, healthy foods that make me feel great and support my body on my road to wellness. Was it hard in the beginning, of course! I think when anyone is told that they can't have something or that a habit needs to be reversed, it will be difficult, but definitely not impossible. I try to give the kids pasta a couple times a month and to be honest, if you find a gluten free pasta that you love, use that and go crazy with ingredients and different combinations. On nights where everyone has to be somewhere, throwing a pasta dish together is the perfect choice.
What you will need for the red pepper sauce
- 6 organic red peppers
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
On a baking sheet, place sliced red peppers, and roughly chopped onion (These will all be blended, so size of veggies, not important). Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. In a 400.F oven bake for @25 minutes or until lightly browned. When veggies are finished, put in a high powered blender or food processor with a handful of fresh basil and blend. Don't forget to add in the left over olive oil in the bottom of the pan, it has so much flavor! When completely blended, put aside.
What you will need for the pasta dish
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large head of organic broccoli, florets only
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 romano cheese
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 pound Gluten Free pasta of your choice
Putting it all together
- Boil water for pasta with a tsp. of salt
- In a large skillet, coat bottom of pan with olive oil and brown chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- When chicken is almost cooked through, add red pepper sauce and cream.
- When sauce begins to simmer, add broccoli florets and romano cheese
- Let the skillet simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow for chicken to cook though and flavors to come together.
- When pasta is finished boiling, strain and add to skillet. If it is not big enough, simply transfer pasta to a large serving bowl, pour skillet ingredients over top and combine.
- Top with chopped basil
Make a double batch of the pepper sauce, and freeze for even faster dinner prep. I have used this sauce in meatloaf for a ton of flavor. Find different ways to stick in veggies, your kids will never know!