blondies with a secret
Anytime I can sneak a healthy food into something I’m making, I do and when its in a sweet treat even better. When my daughter tasted these and said they are delicious, they don’t even taste healthy. I giggled because, she really had no idea. I thought about not telling her at all but then, I like to throw these kinds of things at her to prove to her that healthy doesn’t mean it tastes bad.
Yes, these Chocolate Chip Blondies use garbanzo beans and almond butter as the base. Yes, they are smooth and creamy and you can’t tell even the littlest bit, but for heavens sake, try making them and you will be as shocked as Avery. By the way, she completely thought I was pulling her leg and refused to believe me!
Before I sign off to make something equally delicious, i’ll give you a little info about the sneaky ingredient I used, the star of the show. A half-cup of garbanzo beans provides 143 calories. You'll also get 27 grams of carbohydrate, your body's preferred source of fuel, and 6 grams of muscle-building protein. With 5 grams of fiber per serving, garbanzo beans are an excellent source of dietary fiber. They also pack magnesium, potassium and iron.
You may not care about any of that and that’s ok, they are a perfect treat, pretty healthy and guilt free, so I am going to taste test a few, just to make sure!
What you will need
- One can of Organic Garbanzo Beans (drained)
- 1/2 c Almond Butter
- 1/4 c Coconut Sugar
- 1/4c Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 c chocolate chips (EnjoyLife)
Putting it together
- In a food processor, add can of beans (drain liquid from beans) and blend until creamy and smooth
- Add almond butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda. Pulse until combined, you may have to scrap down sides with a spatula.
- Add chocolate chunks and pulse quickly until combined.
- Pour batter into an 8x8 baking dish (spray to avoid sticking)
- In a 350° oven bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center clean.
- Cut into squares when bars are slightly cooled. They are easier to cut this way, but don’t remove from pan until completely cooled.